Friday, April 29, 2016

Surprise 2.0

Two years ago I was able to surprise my Dad when he won an award for his volunteerism and last night I was able to do the same for my Mom! 

When I surprised my Dad, I wrote about how terrible I am at surprises. Turns out that in the past two years I have not gotten any better at not spoiling surprises. It was sort of a miracle that I succeeded yet again!

My Mom was honored last night at the YWCA's Tribute! to Women Award banquet. This is where women of all ages (15+) are thanked for their service in and with the community of Hastings.

I'm in the midst of my finals this week (and also on my way to Tulsa for an unrelated presentation), so my Mom was sure I was stuck in Omaha either finishing finals or preparing for my trip. I even sent her a few texts with questions on what she thought I should be packing for my trip to throw her off. But instead, I was already in Hastings preparing for the surprise!

(It should probably be noted here that I was in desperate need of a haircut and I trust my stylist from Hastings so I made an early afternoon appointment with her because I didn't have the time/energy to deal with getting it cut in Omaha in the middle of finals/preparing for the trip...I made sure to notify the whole staff of the salon that under no circumstances could they mention that I had an appointment to anyone because there are too many people in Hastings that know me and one of them would somehow inevitably ruin the surprise...so I'm getting my haircut and guess who calls to make an appointment for her very own haircut?!?! MY MOM. What in the world are the odds of that? Ridiculous. I'm convinced that somehow her weird Mom spidey senses kicked in and knew I was there. We all had a good laugh about it but thankfully my secret was still safe.)
The nominees in the "rockstar" category

After spending the rest of the afternoon in a coffee shop I know she doesn't frequent and taking very strange routes around the city I was sure she wouldn't be driving, I finally arrived at dinner with my Grandma. I talked to a few people whom I've known since college and high school and finally Mom came in. It turns out that I was somewhat shielded by the people I was talking to and so she didn't even notice me until she was basically at her seat.

SURPRISE SUCCESS!

Tears abounded (because that's what my Mom and I do). So much excitement. More conversation with the people around the room that I knew. And then there was food (salad, bread, glass noodles with steamed vegetables, and some sort of Kalhua ice cream for me). I was too busy eating it to take pictures of it though. Then the announcement of all of the honorees. I was impressed with the number of incredible women I knew sitting around that room. Many of those ladies have been my role models throughout life whether they realized it or not.
leave it to me to make a photo look ridiculous
photo cred: Sharon Brooks :) 

After we had all packed up and said our goodbyes after the ceremony, Mom and I were having a quiet moment at home and in her typical truest humble fashion she mentioned that she's honored for the recognition, but that she's sure someone else in the community deserved it more than her.

No Mom, this time we get to celebrate you and all that you do!

Hastings Noon Sertomans (minus me!)
(L-R) Marcie Kemnitz, Becky Matticks, Deb Sharrick & Jim Sharrick
(P.S. I just read her nomination and it's hilarious... My Mom is awesome. I'm so excited that I was there to be able to celebrate alongside you!)

(L-R) YWCA board member Marcie Kemnitz,
nominee Becky Matticks, and nominee Deb Sharrick

No comments:

Post a Comment