Friday, April 8, 2016

Birthdays & Holiday celebrations abound!

The past month included so many celebrations, that I decided to include them all into one post. First up, Mom's birthday!

We spent the weekend exploring Omaha. The weather was a little rainy and cold, so we had to opt for indoor activities only (although I just recently got my zoo pass and I really want to use it!). First up was the Durham Museum. They had special exhibits on the early days of JFK's presidency and also Buffalo Bill Cody and the Wild West Show (no one should be all that surprised that this wasn't my favorite exhibit I've ever seen...). It's been several years since I've been to the Durham, so it was nice to be back. I even got Laura some note paper made from elephant poop! Clearly I'm the best gift giver in the history of gift giving...who wouldn't want elephant poop paper?



just waiting to board our train!
the dining car...you could get a whole meal for $2.00! 
no trip to the Durham is complete without a
trip to the soda counter!

Then we tried out the new Flagship Commons food area at Westroads Mall. Essentially it's a fancy food court with burgers, falafel, ramen, tacos, sushi, pizza, salads, a coffee shop, a bar, and more! We all tried something different, but I have to say that my ramen was seriously delicious. A few weeks later, Mom and I went back to try the sushi--it wasn't the best effort by Blue (Yum Roll), but it was still pretty good.

Yoshi-Ya Ramen: vegan ramen

Mom and I split up 10 lbs of strawberries from The Fruit Club and I made all the delicious things with them (plus ate about half of them plain). Strawberry vanilla scones, strawberry oatmeal cookies and chocolate covered strawberries.

Strawberry vanilla scones...I'll be making these again! They made my
apartment smell heavenly! 

chocolate covered strawberries...I shared exactly 1 of these with Kelsey :)


Next up was celebrating Taryn's 16th birthday (and Easter part 1)! I seriously CANNOT believe how old this one has magically become. I'm happy to have her back close to home and am excited she's doing well at D-T. She is one of the more incredible artists that I know and I love getting mail from her because I know it always includes a drawing. For her birthday gift, Grandma took a trip into Hot Topic and realized it wasn't quite her scene...which resulted in an email that I still giggle at! :) I hope it was the most sweet 16, T! 



Finally, Easter part 2 rolled around. The little red-headed munchkins made it down to hOmaha for a good time. J got into lots of trouble with Uncle Jim and spent most of the morning asking when he got to go on the Easter egg hunt. D was a boss at finding Easter eggs and also created some incredible sidewalk artwork with paint/chalk. We attempted to play frisbee, but it was too windy. Mostly we just ate way too much food.

I found my very own bunny!

We got matching suckers (like ring pops) with bunny faces.
Thanks Aunt Jayne for giving me the fun candy, so the fairy
godkiddos and I can be silly!

I am not nearly as good with sidewalk chalk markers as Danni is.
But John got a little artwork in there at the bottom too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment