Tuesday, August 19, 2014

CSA

green onions, tomato, radishes, rhubarb, asparagus,
popcorn, quark cheese and red, white and blue bread
This summer I signed up for a CSA--community supported agriculture--and I have absolutely fallen in love with it! The idea is that you buy "shares" of local farmer's crops and get a bag of vegetables/fruit in return every week. You get to eat locally and you also support local farmers. It's a win-win for everyone involved!

kale (so much kale!!!), tomatoes, broccoli, radishes, eggs, zucchini and strawberries














I loved it so much that I've signed up for a fall one too! Yesterday, I found out that the company I'm going through (the farmer's market that organizes all of the produce from the farmers and gets it distributed to all of the vegetable-loving peoples) is doing a winter CSA too! I'm actually a little bit bummed that I won't be able to do that one. But it's only because it features meat every week and that's pretty much pointless for me, but if you're in the Omaha area and you're interested, please let me know!

onions, beets, walnuts, potatoes, zucchini and a baguette
Not only do I get veggies each week, but I also get a fresh loaf of bread from a local bakery as well as a dozen farm fresh eggs/local cheese on alternating weeks. It's been really wonderful to expand my vegetable and cheese horizons and also work on cooking different things! The bags were designed for families of 4, so I even have a nice stash frozen for the winter! Sometimes they throw in other stuff like local honey, granola, popcorn from a local farm, a basil plant and lots of other stuff!

It's been a wonderful adventure and I look forward to the new types of squash I'm sure I'll get to try in the coming weeks with my fall veggie bags! I have been eating VERY well this summer!


the cutest little strawberries! they make my hand look like a giant hand! :)

bruschetta from the tomatoes, onions, basil and bread from my bags!

green beans, peaches, corn, pickling cucumbers, broccoli,
squash, nettle cheese, and Popeye bread

I pickled the cucs, squash and onions. Yum!

Squash, green bean and zucchini crepes from the bags.
Chives from my herb pot! :)

potatoes, zucchini, green peppers, green beans, basil,
peaches, corn, eggs, and Indian bread
onions, potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, kale,
garlic pepper cheddar cheese, kale, and a baguette

No comments:

Post a Comment