Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Bridge to Care Health Fair and my visit to Wayne, America

I just wanted to give a little follow up to a blog post from a few weeks ago about the health fair I was part of hosting for refugees in Omaha. I also thought I'd give a quick update about the rest of my busy weekend also! 

The health fair was wildly successful! We had 310 refugees in attendance, 135 student volunteers, and about 75 community vendors/volunteers. The health fair planning team really outdid themselves! Such a great group of students to work with. (Speaking of, I'm thinking of running a series of posts about what each of the groups do that I get to work with for work....stay tuned!)

Health Fair Planning Dream Team! 
all Bridge to Care members volunteering at the health fair
(this is maybe a bit over half of the whole team!)
After the health fair, I headed up to Wayne, Nebraska to preach at Our Savior's Lutheran Church about ELCA World Hunger. It went well, I think! The best part of the weekend was staying at a friend's house and seeing their businesses booming in Wayne! Mark and Lucas bought a house two years ago that was built in 1893. They've been redoing it to its former glory in that time all in preparation for the Wayne Tour of Homes last weekend. So that meant it was Christmas EVERYWHERE when I arrived. It was great!!

The house was amazing. Their coffee shop (The Coffee Shoppe) and their thrift/antique store (Rustic Treasures) were also great (I was quite excited to get a few decorations and a mini crock pot while I was there!). The local steakhouse was amazing too--high praise coming from a vegetarian. I guess Wayne, America really has some good things going on. 

Really the only disappointment of the weekend was when Mark told me that he had just gone home to vacuum up the glitter off the bed I would be sleeping in. Why in the world would anyone remove glitter from my life?!?! :) 

Now that the Tour of Homes is over, I can share some of the photos! 
the gorgeous dining room table
the tree in my room: winter fruit!
inside the turret

dining area #2 (I'm sure there's a more
formal name for this, but I don't know it!)
this was my favorite tree: Brass and Glass!

TV area with fireplace

the original coal burning fireplace

stairwell


another upstairs bedroom 

the turret on the first floor

1 comment:

  1. We were thrilled to have our FIRST guest be you in the finished home! Happy Holidays Jenny!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete