Wednesday, August 26, 2015

saying goodbye to cubicle MA58: week 10

Goodbye sad, undecorated cubicle!
My final week of my internship felt surreal and also went by so quickly! I had quite a few projects to finish up so I was frantically finishing them, while trying to enjoy the last few days with my Chicago peeps. I worked on a background project about backpack programs for kids, finished up more with the social media audit, wrote a lesson in the gender and hunger toolkit and put some finishing touches on a few other projects I was working on. The interns also were able to have a conversation with Heidi Neumark, the author of the book we all read this summer. It was such an honor to be talking with her and to hear how her ministry has progressed since the writing of Breathing Space. (Quick plug: she has another book coming out this fall...everyone should read it!) Previously I mentioned that I was guest blogging and the first guest blog post came out this week! Read it here. It's about my experience with food and communion as someone with Crohn's disease. What an excellent, full summer! I just wish it would have slowed down a little bit. 

This week was also the ELCA's webcast of Confronting Racism, which was, I think, a good place for the greater Church to start the conversation about racism in our congregations and in the world. It's unfortunate that more of us haven't been talking about it in the past, but I suppose we need to start somewhere. I know that many people tuned in, but I wonder how many people from my congregation, or from Nebraska did.  

Robin brought Dunkin Donuts...
my first ever and now I'm hooked!
look at how huge this pieces of BBQ seitan pizza is!
I got a few dance classes in before my time in Chicago ended. And also did plenty more reading on my commute: Dad is Fat (Jim Gaffigan), Son--Giver Quartet, Book 4 (Lois Lowry) and Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own (Doreen Orion). I finished up West Wing (yes, I know both impressive and pathetic) and successfully procrastinated packing up my stuff until the very last second. 

I have much left to say and probably more to learn about my summer in Chicago. This week was one full of reflection (and resume updating!), but suffice it to say that my summer away was exactly what I needed. I'm quite sure I'll be back at some point...ELCA World Hunger can't get rid of me that easily! :) 
Elly's Pancake House: black cherry blintzes
Probably not all that unsurprising, but we celebrated the end of our (the interns) summer by going out to brunch with the whole team! I was gifted with wonderful sparkly things (one thing now decorating my new cubicle!) and a journal that says "Be Awesome" on the front. I will write more about my plans for that journal at another time--the plans are oh-so-grand! 
Furious Spoon: vegetable ramen
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream: milkiest chocolate
and salted caramel sundae

Amtrak thinks it's so fancy with it's freezer dessert
and plastic monogrammed plates. 
The Amtrak ride home itself was pretty uneventful, but I did get to see all of the little towns along the route speed past, which really got me excited to be going home. Getting to my destination was a bit of a predicament because apparently they stopped checking baggage to my destination and I had no idea what to do with my 5 huge bags. (PS a VERY special thank you to Sharon who took me to the Amtrak station! And a bigger thank you to my Mom who drove several hours to come pick me up at a station that does check bags!) I sat next to a girl who thought everyone in Omaha rode horses and it was in the middle of the country. And I stood in line with a boy who thought Nebraskans spoke some sort of Germanic language (I suppose historically he's not all wrong on this one), so I was an impromptu ambassador for the state touting all of it's wonderful qualities!

When I got home I drove all around the state for doctor's appointments and finally to Omaha to move in to my new apartment. The open skies, uninhabited roads, fields upon fields of corn, and small town Nebraska were just what I was hoping for as a "welcome back" from the big city. It's good to be home now and back to school, but I'm so thankful for my summer away.

Highway 30.
Look at how perfect those clouds are!

No comments:

Post a Comment