Saturday, August 1, 2015

I require sleep (post ELCA Youth Gathering hangover): week 8

Bakin' and Eggs brunch
Once I allowed myself to realize I was tired, boy did I really live-into that tiredness! Much of this week consisted of sleep and watching The West Wing. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. I made an embarassing amount of progress on The West Wing this week, mostly because I couldn't pull myself from the supine position to do much of anything else.

We started the week off right with some brunch on Monday morning whilst playing hooky from work (okay...we actually had lots of over-time, but I'd rather think of it as playing hooky...makes me sound cooler). I'm so happy to have had the chance for brunch with Mikka and Gina before Gina left and before I leave in two weeks! Quality time with friends + food? Yeah, I'm down.

Bakin' and Eggs: asparagus frittata, cheesy grits & toast with jam
Bakin' and Eggs: Banana Pecan Bread French Toast
the garden out front is beautiful!
purty 'hood




















Other quick highlights include lunch outside at the park on an especially nice day, delivery Thai food (cooking is hard when you're so sleepy!), a trip back the the Mexican bakery, and ice cream at a Chicago classic with a long-time friend, James. This week I read: Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction (Julie Brophy), The Encyclopedia of an Extraordinary Life (Amy Krouse Rosenthal), Here if You Need Me (Kate Braestrup), and Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar (Kelly Oxford)--admittedly I gave up on this one and didn't like it much. I also found out this week that I got a cool scholarship for next year, but unfortunately I can't take it because I already have an equally (if not more) awesome grad assistantship. But I still feel pretty honored and excited about the scholarship nonetheless!

Margie's Candies: turtle sundaes with James!
On a sad note, this week we said goodbye to a member of our team (and also to my friend!) Gina. She finished her Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC) year and is off to new adventures at her alma mater. I'm so very excited for her, but sad to not see her in the office anymore. The only appropriate sending off clearly had to include ice cream, so I ordered some from eCreamery in Omaha. This was the menu:

  • Campfire Companion: S'mores ice cream
  • Summer a la Mode: Berry cobbler ice cream (**this was far and away the favorite!)
  • Served Best with Sunshine: Strawberry lemonade sorbet
  • Summertime + Ice Cream = Love:  Chocolate malt ice cream with chocolate covered malt ball pieces
  • Scoops of Thanks: Chocolate cake ice cream with fudge swirls & brownie bits (my favorite!)
  • Indulge! You Deserve It!: Sea salt caramel ice cream
  • Sweet Appreciation: Peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter cups & fudge swirls
  • Delicious Gratitude: Vanilla ice cream with toffee crunch
Needless to say, I've converted some of the World Hunger staff to Nebraska ice cream lovers. Can't wait for everyone to come visit me in Omaha and I'll take them to the real deal! :) 


I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!




No comments:

Post a Comment