Monday, July 6, 2015

whoa we're half way there (and some big news!): week 5

homemade apple strudel!
**I had a really fabulous week, but as I sat down to write this, I found out that a 7-year-old boy was killed only a few blocks away from me last night as he watched fireworks with his family. Not only does that make me quite sad, but I found out about it only because it's trending on Facebook, not because anyone in the neighborhood knew anything about it. His father didn't realize at first that his son was shot, the gunfire sounded like fireworks. Another 26-year-old woman was also shot, but has since stabilized (at last I knew). These two were only some of those shot or shot and killed this weekend in Chicago. It's put a different lens on my adventures this week and I just want to, at the very least, speak to the violence that is around me. I also recognize that the violence around me, is not only in Chicago, but also in Omaha and Hastings too. 

This week started with homemade apple strudel by Pedro. What a wonderful and delicious treat to come home to after a long day at the Pride parade last weekend!

Work this week was busy for many reasons: my wonderful supervisors returns from their European vacation adventure, it was a 4-day work week, and there's only a few work days until we leave for the ELCA Youth Gathering in Detroit. It's coming down to crunch time, y'all. And that's sort of scary! But things are falling into place. I can't wait to share photos with you of the end results.

Mikka brought back Swiss chocolate with silly looking characters.
Thanks Mikka!  
Swiss chocolate!
My first task was to call my Dad and brag about it :) I'm the sweetest daughter!  
Specific adventures this week include dance class, a last-minute cancelled trip to Indianapolis, two friends giving birth to babies (welcome to the world James and Maura), brunch (x2!), a White Sox game, fireworks (x2!), BBQs (x2!), frozen Kefir, being invited into community with a wonderful hodgepodge of neighborhood women who have experienced it all, an invitation to preach at a church in a train station, a visit from a Memphis friend, coffee house blog writing, frustrating experiences waiting for buses, shopping, guest blogging, and Sunday afternoon strolls around the neighborhood (including seeing a beautiful old church converted into a house, which Jim absolutely would have loved!). Books this week were: Friendfluence, Omnivore's Dilemma, Cuckoo's Calling, and Graceling. Netflix was limited only to The West Wing...such terrible fashion, but such wonderful sass from so many characters. 

Ann Sathers: brunch #1
Each entree comes with 2 sides...2 cinnamon rolls=1 side!
Nommmmm

Ann Sathers: brunch #1
crab cakes benedict, 2 cinnamon rolls,
2 biscuits with honey, orange juice

US Cellular Stadium: White Sox vs Orioles
the view of downtown 
Go Sox...?

Shark Week sponsored fireworks

Shark Week fireworks 
Shark Week fireworks

Shark Week fireworks
Orange Restaurant: brunch #2
Chai Tea French Toast 
Orange Restaurant: pear mimosa
apparently I have a gorgeous backyard!
BBQ #1
Although we went to see the Navy Pier
fireworks, someone stood in front of me the
whole time, so I couldn't see them. Luckily,
others were lighting them off right next to/above
us, so we still got a show!  
fireworks raining fire down on us
Cafe Mustache: breakfast burrito and chai tea latte
Walking through the neighborhood I stumbled upon this random
Italian ice shoppe out the side of a building. Obviously I had to stop.
Miko's Italian Ice. 
Miko's Italian Ice: black raspberry and mango

Some REALLY big news this week was that I was officially accepted in the MPH program at UNMC. There wasn't much doubt, but I'm happy that it's official that I can finish my degree. For the next year, I will be the graduate assistant for the Service Learning Academy which supports 4 service learning opportunities/partnerships for UNMC students and the Omaha community (Decreasing the Donor Deficit--bone marrow transplant registry; EMPOWER--partners with the Women's Center for Advancement on education components for women and families affected by intimate partner violence/domestic violence; do juSTIce--the organization I've been with for the past 3 years that offers free chlamydia and gonorrhea testing and treatment to inmates at the local county jail; and Bridge to Care--refugee health program to connect refugees to care that also provides health mentoring to refugee youth and families). I am passionate about these causes and am excited for the year to come!

I'm also excited because next weekend I get to make a speedy return to Nebraska!! I absolutely CANNOT wait to see a sunset over the plains. I'm also hoping for watermelon and sweet corn while I'm home. I plan to get a trip to Back Alley Bakery and Dally's in also. All in addition to a wedding of some of my favorite people! Maybe I'll be able to get a quick drive-thru around Fisher Fountain. Gotta soak up all things Hastings! It's going to be the quickest 42 hours in Hastings, but it's going to be awesome (and exhausting).

No comments:

Post a Comment