Monday, November 24, 2014

life goal: Emma Watson and I will frolic in fields of sunflowers together

So I have some majorly exciting news that has been brewing for about a month. And actually it's been official for two weeks or so, but I've just been too swamped with school and work to write about it (and the other 4 blog posts that are on my to-do list every.single.day), but I don't want to keep the news to myself any longer, so I thought I'd spare a few minutes from my paper writing to update everyone.

So the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) does some really good work with it's partners both locally and globally with issues of hunger, refugee resettlement, disaster response, reducing malaria incidence rates, and generally working with communities globally to see what their needs are and how best they can be met while empowering the community. Turns out the UN (yes, as in the United Nations) noticed. So they have partnered together with the ELCA to have a young adult cohort for the UN's Commission on the Status of Women (UN CSW) to address issues that the CSW targets globally. Larger goals for the collaboration surround ideas of young adult leadership development and faith formation within a social justice framework while encouraging reflection and diversity of vocation. Within the ELCA the groups involved are ELCA World Hunger, Young Adults in Global Mission, ELCA Justice for Women, and ELCA Young Adults.

I have been involved with ELCA World Hunger for over 2 years now and so I was invited to a meeting in October in Eagle Pass, TX...a sort of check in with a group of people that are doing hunger and global mission work in the region. And while I was there an opportunity came up! The good people at ELCA World Hunger found out about my new Maternal and Child Health focus with public health and they thought I would be a good candidate for the young adult group....!

Sooo....

In March, I will head to the 59th session of the UN CSW in New York City and be part of this young adult cohort! I will bring my background in hunger work, but also the public health information I know about health outcomes for women and children worldwide (and how hunger affects lives).

And now my new life goal is to meet Emma Watson (with her UN work on the #heforshe campaign) and become best friends with her and frolic through fields of wildflowers together. I 100% don't believe that this life goal will ever happen, BUT it's still fun to dream!

And it's so, so, so, so exciting to be part of this! I'm still overwhelmed and shocked that anyone even thought to invite me. I feel fortunate that we found the funding for it. And that I made the transition to public health in the first place. Thanks for everyone who has been along for the ride! :) It's been a little bumpy, but things seem to be great. And I promise to keep everyone updated on all the things that will be happening (hopefully I'll even write about my experiences closer to when I have them...instead of waiting a whole month...oops ;) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment