Monday, October 28, 2013

Those People.

I read this incredibly powerful blog post today. It's about someone who has been hungry in her life. It's about someone who has used the services of a food pantry. It's about "those people".

Those people.

It makes me sad that those people have hit hard times are unable to feed themselves and their families. It makes me sad that those people are possibly even on their way to being homeless because paying for rent/mortgage, heat, electricity and water is sometimes an impossible feat. It bums me out that those people are often living in food deserts and the food they have access to is often not nutritious...which leads to other health issues such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and the list goes on. It bums me out that governmental assistance programs keep getting cut and so those people continue on being hungry. 

But mostly it bums me out that those people keep getting called those people by the rest of the people. 

Hunger is everywhere. It's not something to be ashamed of. You are not one of those people, you are a person. A person who is hungry. A person using their resources to no longer be hungry. I wish I could magically erase world hunger or even the stigma associated with it, but I alone cannot. Loyal blog readers, partner with me to end hunger? To end the stigma? 

No comments:

Post a Comment