Friday, January 6, 2017

full circle

One of my goals for 2017 is to write at least one blog per week. The end of the first week of the year creeped up a little quicker than I expected and yet no blog. Hoping to remedy that immediately...

Shortly before Christmas was my graduation ceremony.

It was quite run of the mill as far as graduation ceremonies go. I've never been much of a fan of graduation ceremonies after having to play Pomp and Circumstance one bazillion times in high school and college with the band. But it was extremely special for 2 reasons:

  1. I FINALLY graduated. With a degree. Not the degree I really ever anticipated receiving nor in the time frame I had originally planned. But with a degree that makes me extremely proud, gives me life and allows me to be excited about the work I am privileged to do every single day. 
  2. My journey at UNMC ended in the way it began: me crossing the stage at Joslyn Art Museum in front of my family and loved ones. (insert The Lion King's The Circle of Life audio here)
My life is quite different than when I started at UNMC 4.5 years ago. It's also quite different from what I had dreamed for it to be that very first time walking across that stage 4.5 years ago. But it's really truly so much better than I could have ever imagined. 

I had a moment on that stage where the emotions of my time at UNMC quickly came flooding back: the terror of anatomy classes, the utter boredom of biochemistry, being diagnosed with Crohn's disease, the confusion over physiology, surgery, medical leave, M1 year--take 2, the love of neuro core, the looming dread that medicine (my dream since I was 8 years old) was not for me anymore, more sickness, abruptly quitting medical school and switching careers, the relief of being accepted into public health, the adjustment into a new lifestyle, the freedom to pursue things that interested me and to travel, the feeling of healing, the fear of the next steps in my career, the frustration at my capstone, and finally, the utter elation that I had finished. 

The past 4.5 years have been a lot. I really don't have a better way to explain it...there was plenty of awesome intermixed with the not-so-great and some in between things as well. But there was very little time for reflection in the midst of all of that other than what I wrote on this blog. 

So I need to thank you all for helping me survive (and thrive) throughout my tenure at UNMC. I needed this blog as an outlet for all that was going on in my crazy, wonderful life probably more than you needed to be reading any of my thoughts. I also need to thank my friends and family for being incredible support systems and for occasionally (literally) picking me up off the ground helping me move forward when I couldn't get up on my own. 

It's been a ride, but boy am I ever glad that I made it back, full circle, to that stage at Joslyn. 

Grandma + Uncle Dale
@ the hooding ceremony

My capstone adviser, Dr. Tibbits
@ the hooding ceremony
Aunt Lorraine + Uncle Dick
@ graduation
Aunt Jayne
@ graduation

 UNMC COPH 2016 winter graduates 
Annie, the other maternal & child health grad <3


Mom + Dad
@ the hooding ceremony
the very first time I walked across that stage
@ UNMC COM 2016 White Coat Ceremony
August 17, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment