Monday, March 30, 2015

Fairy Godmother Tales


To start off my spring break this year (just over a week ago), I headed to South Dakota to visit my godchildren. They are (almost) 7 and 4 years of age. The eldest, "D", has called me her fairy
godmother since she was very little and has shared in my love of glitter and all things shiny, much to her father's dismay--sorry, I'm not sorry Mike! :) She was the very first to announce that my favorite color was "glitter" when she was maybe 3-4 years old, even though it really is silver. The younger, "J", is your typical 4-year-old boy...far more interested in catching bugs than learning his letters, shapes, and numbers. He's one of the busiest boys I know who will someday become a storyteller of some sort for his profession.
Maybe I could have a better outfit too...?

Just thought I'd share some funny tales from my quick trip!

J: "My old friend the clam hugged me and that's how I know so much about shells."
(pauses for dramatic effect)
J: "But he washed away to make new friends."
***I also learned about his "old friend" the owl and several other old friends that are also animals. I'm convinced in another life that J was actually an old man in the South who sat in a rocking chair on his front stoop/in front of the town grocery store/cafe and just shot the breeze all day telling stories of his good ole days. The kids has some serious tales....***

D: (telling me about the tooth fairy coming a few weeks ago) "She brought me $15. She has long red hair like me, but long like Rapunzel. She's also little."---for the record, I am confident that she didn't bring $15, but that fairy still pays much better than my tooth fairy did!

J: "I'm not ornery. I give myself good ideas."

Me: "I'm tired. You wore me out today."
D: "It's what kids do!"
(adults all chuckle)
D: "Well it is..." (in an exasperated [almost] 7-year-old voice)

To top off the whole weekend, we went to watch Cinderella in theaters. Talk about fairy godmother! I don't know that I will be able to magically provide a pumpkin carriage to the ball for either of those two, but maybe our fun art projects, cooking, and playing together along the way will make up for my lack of fairytale magic. I'm so happy I was able to spend some time with them last weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment